Sunday, October 05, 2008

So. Today i am thinking about.....well, lots of stuff. But primarily about "beauty". There were many years in my shallow life when i pretty much recognized/saw beauty in face, physiques.....But now, and maybe it is just a result/happenstance of my own aging, but i find beauty in....accomplishment/talent/genius/ability/effort. and it's a whole different thing.
i listen to Pavarotti, Carreras, Domingo, Netrebko, Villazon; i watch a Mariss Jansons, a Zubin Mehta, a Marco Armiliato; i feast on the sight of Guerin, or Sizova, or Bujones......and i feel so much. and it uplifts me and simultaneously humbles me. The gifts of humans are inspiring, overwhelming and.....beyond my understanding. Such joy they give, such inspiration they impart...
and then...i begin wondering at the......impermanence of it all. And all the old, centuries' ages-old questions come right back into "play".......WHY WHY WHY? and i am left with just.....
"What's it all about, Alfie?"

7 comments:

pineapple said...

You know what I mean.

Enrique said...

It's a sad and beautiful world.

gracegalore said...

It's a happy and ugly world
it's a sad and ugly world
it's a happy and beautiful world
uhhuh

Anonymous said...

I had lunch with my mom today and she told me about this great blog. So before saying my prayers for the night, of which you will be included, I decided to logon. And low and behold a question I can answer...I love questions :-) So here it goes...

The purpose of life is to seek out its inherent goodness and to share it with all.

Makes sense to me. Is that not what Pavarotti does when he sings? Or a Baryshnikov does when he dances? Or my aunt does when she writes?

Maybe one day if you ask the right question I'll tell you what the meaning of life it too!

LesleyRamsey said...

Cousin Kenneth and the meaning of life! Wow!

I wish I believed solely in the inherent goodness of life... I do believe in it. And I do try to share it... it's just that I also believe in the inherent badness. We've all got both.

Keep commenting! It's good to "hear" from you!

Anonymous said...

Your are right to believe in both. Thus I offer what I heard when reading your lament, "Life is inherently good, and people are inherently bad."

And so my suggestion is to focus on the goodness of life rather than the badness of people. Then when you run into the inevitable bad person focus instead on the goodness of life that surrounds you and them. Roberto Benigni paints a beautiful picture of this in his movie, Life is Beautiful. Watch it...you'll find yourself smiling at life :-)

Nervana said...

Hey! somehow it seems odd that HERE....on the blatant agnostic blog....we've got some sort of religious discussion going......it leaves me......discombobulated.