Thursday, September 25, 2008

EEEEEEK!
Two traveling, door-to-door CHRISTIAN ZEALOTS caught me in my front yard this morning. Me, trapped between a fallen tree limb, a big pile of debris, and two bible-waving, big-haired, flat-shoed......CHRISTIAN WOMEN! very unnerving, but......also entertaining .
Conversation as follows:
T (them): Have you found God yet?
M (me): i didn't know she was missing!
T: HE is always present.
M: Then why are you looking for her?
T: WE have found HIM, and we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy HIS BLESSINGS in the HEAVENLY KINGDOM.
M: That sounds like a place for kids' birthday parties. Is it new?
Silence. New tactic:
T: Let me read you a scripture that will help you to gain insight into our LORD'S hope for us.
M: No thank you. But if you have an instruction manual for my computer i'd appreciate a lesson. My email is all screwed up and i haven't been able to access my address book.
Silence, along with much covert glancing at each other.
Another attempt.
T: With all the human catastrophes happeniing in our world today, do you feel that GOD is not paying attention?
M: What? i'm sorry, i wasn't paying attention.
Silence.
So i changed the conversational dynamic and said
M: i'm about ready for a drink. Would you like a quick early morning cocktail?
LONG SILENCE.
and they handed me some god-advertising magazine and walked off down the sidewalk.
Me, i went back to my raking.

5 comments:

LesleyRamsey said...

Damn! That's hilarious!

gracegalore said...

you rock. i love this. will you be my mentor?

Nervana said...

gracegalore: as it happens, i am an EXPERIENCED MENTOR. Which basically just means i'm really really good at telling people what to do and how to do it better. It's so much easier than keeping tabs on myself! Thank you!

nonprofitprophet said...

this was fwd' to me by your fan base. very witty. ~npp

Nervana said...

NPP: Damn! i LOVE your name.....my entire life is nonprofit, and mostly nonprophet as well. Have you copywrited it????