Tuesday, September 30, 2008

i have had many "timepieces" in my lifetime. My first was a Cinderella watch, circa 1950s, that came in a glass slipper and had the Disney pic of her in the standard ballgown and the always lovely yellow hair. i wore it daily for a long time (by kid standards) until i lost it or....whatever happened that always happens to childhood stuff. Next was a series of cheapo Timexes.....and i have absolutely no recollection of what happened to them. In the early 80s i had a fake Rolex, complete with fake diamonds, which i wore proudly with my fancy "go to work clothes". Then, i moved up to a Raymond Weil.....it had a brown alligator band and no numbers on it....just dots. After that, it was Tags.....two consecutive men's gold bigass "diving watches" that lit up so bright in the dark, i had to sleep with my wrist under the pillow to avoid the glare. Then the ultimate.....a work-of-art gold, diamond encrusted evening watch, guaranteed to make all present feel envious and awe-struck. Next.....when i was "downsizing" due to financial havoc, i ordered an enormous pink watch off some tv shopping show.....
Now, what all of these had in common was.....they did not EVER show the correct time. And the Tags kept getting water in them, despite guarantees that that was "impossible". The pink watch worked for a short while and then the battery died,and according to every jeweler i saw,there existed no suitable batteries to replace the old one.
i now have that particular watch sitting on a bookshelf to hide a burn mark underneath it. The "evening watch" is useless in my life now.....it doesn't look good with my daily wardrobe of pjs.
So.....a few years ago, i bought a huge, monstrous, really quite ugly Grandfather clock....expensive and .....well, just expensive.
It does't work. Because i can't stand hearing the fucking chimes every fifteen minutes tolling out the passage of......TIME! So i turned them off, which means the weighted hangy-down things don't balance right, so the clock is always at least fifteen minutes or more fast. Which at my age, is not a positive thing.
i cannot even begin to calculate the dollar amount i have spent in my lifetime on.....timepieces. And now, at 61, i realize that "TIME" is just a made-up thing that we humans have used for......what? It's all irrelevant. NOW IS WHAT WE'VE GOT......MAKE IT COUNT.

4 comments:

Enrique said...

I stopped wearing watches years ago. And after I did that, for a little while, time slowed down a bit.
Those ten or so years seemed more like fifty. Now my phone is my timepiece, calendar, computer, radio, stereo and television. The whole world is sort of in my face all the time. And suddenly I feel very old indeed. How did this happen? Makes me long for your old Cinderella watch.

Nervana said...

Enrique: My computer time is hours off/wrong, my tv timething is also wrong. only my cellphone has the correct time and i usually forget to charge it. But.....me.....i can just look in a mirror and have an idea of.....the passage/ravage of Time. ugh

LesleyRamsey said...

time is the only anecdote. getit?

Nervana said...

Only Grrl: it scares me when your mind goes.....where mine is. stop that!